Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Running with the Dead: Quinn the Eskimo

Running with the Dead: Quinn the Eskimo
Result: Negative
Best Line: Come all without, come all within, you'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn.
Link: '86 soundboard

Mornings are getting frigid in Flagstaff. The other day the peaks got dusted in snow. Soon it will be too icy to run. But, don't worry. Flag is a mountain oasis, surrounded on all sides by desert. In the winter, you simply drive downhill. Go a half hour south to Sedona. It's sixty degrees. It has dozens of incredible red-rock and riparian trails. I'll be able to run all year! Oh boy.

Anyway, Quinn the Eskimo is a Dylan song. The Dead loved to perform his songs. Some concerts seemed to be fifty-percent Dylan. Here are a few that they regularly performed: Maggie's Farm, Queen Jane Approximately, Baby Blue, When I Paint My Masterpiece (my favorite). Now I'm a huge Dylan fan, but running to his music? Sorry. It aint me, babe. One problem is his songs tend to be slow. Another, is his lyrics. They cause me to ask deep and ponderous questions like, why the hell am I running? Which I don't need right now.

Quinn the Eskimo was the last Dylan survivor on my player. The song is quicker than most and has a rousing chorus. But this messiah-of-the-north does things to my brain. It challenges my purpose in life. And with two weeks to go until the marathon, I'm not turning around, to see the frowns, on the jugglers and the clowns. Quinn, you just got nixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Octofinder