Saturday, October 17, 2009

Running with the Dead: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo

Running with the Dead: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo
Result: Positive
Best Line: If all you got to live for is what you left behind, get yourself a powder charge and seal that silver mine
Link: Mellow '77 version

Even though this song is about leaving the south and heading west, Mississippi Half-Step is sort of the Dead's I did it my way. The song is punctuated with humor and peppered with the line, I'm on my way. Also the lyrics refer to a car accident that Jerry Garcia survived in 1960. He had been thrown from the wreck but his shoes stayed in the car. The accident had a profound effect on Garcia. His motto became, either go whole hog or not at all. I think he succeeded. Anyway, this song is excellent for running. I imagine myself running (not walking) across the Queensboro Bridge whenever I hear the line, across that lazy river. We'll see. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Octofinder