Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hand-me-downs: Yoga


Yoga is a spiritual, philosophical, physical and meditative practice that originated in India over two thousand years ago. . . Or as I like to refer to it, stretching.

M introduced me to yoga while we were living in Tucson. She of course is an expert and once taught classes. Yoga is similar to Tai Chi and I find it useful for staying loose before long runs. It also forces me to concentrate on my breathing, which is good, since I have so many lung issues.

A couple of bad things about yoga? All the mumbo-jumbo and pseude-science. It's important to find an instructor who is not bamboozled by everything eastern and mystical. Some ideas should remain two-thousand years in the past where they belong. Another thing that bugs me about yoga is the marketing to middle-aged women who are obsessed with weight loss. . . Try to avoid classes that are full of overweight fifty-year-old women wearing spandex who want to spend the whole class listening to 80's music and doing hip openers. Will you be my partner, sweetie?

I try to attend one class a week at the Athletic Club. It's casual and I can drop L off at Kid's Club. The rest of the week, I stretch my hamstrings, quads, and calves on the floor next to our bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Octofinder