Thursday, October 1, 2009

End Game

One month away and boy are we excited!

Yeah, right. . . M and I are hobbling around the cold house like a pair of tragic Shakespeare characters. Or maybe the king and queen from the Lion in Winter. Or worse, a pair of nobs from a Beckett play.

M's hamstring felt well after her sixteen, but then did she a small run and carried L up the stairs. Now both of her legs hurt. Yesterday she went to the p.t. and got some more bruising treatment.

My hamstring is tight. I did four slow miles yesterday. My big concern is that I am now two weeks behind. I wanted to do at least twenty-two before the marathon. I fear that if I don't get my mileage up to 22-24, then I won't be able to complete the marathon. M disagrees. She thinks I should do one more long run and then cut it off. Start to taper. Otherwise my body will not have time to recover. I'm not sure what to do.

Here is my conversation with M this morning (thanks Mr. Beckett):

Me: How are your legs?
M: Bad.
Me: But you can walk.
M: I come... and go.
Me: In my house. (Pause. With prophetic relish.) One day you'll be blind like me. You'll be sitting here, a speck in the void, in the dark, forever, like me. (Pause.) One day you'll say to yourself, I'm tired, I'll sit down, and you'll go and sit down. Then you'll say, I'm hungry, I'll get up and get something to eat. But you won't get up. You'll say, I shouldn't have sat down, but since I have I'll sit on a little longer, then I'll get up and get something to eat. But you won't get up and you won't get anything to eat. (Pause.) You'll look at the wall a while, then you'll say, I'll close my eyes, perhaps have a little sleep, after that I'll feel better, and you'll close them. And when you open them again there'll be no wall any more. (Pause.) Infinite emptiness will be all around you, all the resurrected dead of all the ages wouldn't fill it, and there you'll be like a little bit of grit in the middle of the steppe. (Pause.) Yes, one day you'll know what it is, you'll be like me, except that you won't have anyone with you, because you won't have had pity on anyone and because there won't be anyone left to have pity on you.

Wow.... The similarities between running and absurdism.... it boggles the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Octofinder